Fireworks Pet Safety
Keep your pets safe during the Fourth of July Fireworks
For most of us, the Fourth of July is a time to enjoy the fireworks that mark the holiday. But for our pets, fireworks are another story. Many pets can be traumatized by the noisy rockets and firecrackers so many of us enjoy.
At Condon-Meek Insurance, we hope your holiday is happy and safe for you and your pets. So along with our other post on Fireworks Safety, here are some Fireworks Pet Safety tips to help you protect your pets on the Fourth.
Fireworks Pet Safety
- Many pets are very frightened by the loud noises caused by fireworks. If you can’t take them away from the noise, here are some pointers from the American Society for the prevention of Cruelty to Animals that will help them have a more peaceful holiday.
- Don’t take your pet to a public fireworks display. In addition to the noise, they may be spooked by the crowds.
- If possible, leave your pet inside in a safe and secure room. Do not leave them outside, even if your yard is fenced. They may try to flee, and they may succeed; July 5th is a busy day at many animal shelters, as dogs and cats are frequently found miles from their homes. Taking your pet on a walk early in the day, can help tire them out.
- Give your pets a comfortable place to rest, as well as plenty of food and water. You might even leave a TV or stereo on to drown out the fireworks. Provide soothing music, if possible. A favorite toy (or their favorite owner!) can also help comfort them.
- Make sure your pets have an ID tag or microchip, in case they get scared and escape.
- Check with your veterinarian before giving your pet any medication intended to calm them. They may be able to provide you with a prescription or suggest alternatives.
- And, of course, keep your pet away from used or unused fireworks.
With some common sense and planning, the Fourth of July can be both safe and enjoyable for everyone – and less scary for your pets. Whether you’re staying at home or heading to Clearwater Beach for fireworks, we hope you have a wonderful time celebrating.
If you have any questions regarding fireworks and your Home Insurance coverage, call us today at 1-800-221-1964.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: This information brought to you by Condon-Meek Insurance and SafeCo, is for informational purposes only, please contact your agent directly to speak with them regarding any coverages or changes to your specific policies.